crazy weather……

January 25, 2011

The wind was whipping the loose snow so hard, at times I couldn’t see the highway, the truck I was following or even the marking poles on the side of the road. I was driving over the bumps on the side of the highway. The noise told me I was still on the road.

Running from Buhl, ID to Atlanta with a load of corn was very interesting. The weather was pretty cold, in the low 20 and high teens. I was only in Boise a couple of hours after unloading the ice cream cartons. I headed back east to Buhl to pick up frozen corn from Seneca foods.

Cool picture, it shows the snow blowing across the highway, don’t worry, it’ll get worst. But notice the trailer’s shadow on the trucks left side. Strange to see a shadow with the snow blowing.

I was hoping to save a little fuel Wednesday night and didn’t run the engine all night. But added ‘Hollows’ to the fuel so it wouldn’t freeze and went to bed. About 4am I woke up and started the engine to get it warm and it wouldn’t start. I tried several times but nope, it wouldn’t start. The lights on the dash all came on but no fire. I thought the batteries were dead and jumped them off the reefer and it fired up. Thank You, God I out loud to no one around. But the last thing I needed was to break down at 4am, in freezing weather without an engine that ran in some place that didn’t have a repair shop. I needed a PM service [oil change, lube, etc] and thought I’d run it into an International dealer and get whatever is causing it not to start repaired. The next night in Lexington, NE I didn’t turn off the engine and kept it running all the way to KC. At the WalMart [in Lexington my over-night parking spot] I noticed the fan was making some noise and made a mental note to have that checked out too. It’s cheaper and less stressful to have some things repaired before they break as a breakdown will usually include a very high $$ towing bill. KC couldn’t find anything ‘really wrong’ with the fan and couldn’t get the engine NOT to start for them. So, down the road I went, my money in my pocket but still worrying when the truck wouldn’t start for me.

As luck has most things, 350 miles down the road the fan locked up and stopped working properly. Instead of only coming on when the engine is getting hot, it was on all the time. Better than not going around and around but at some point it would lock up and NOT turn. It needed to be repaired soon. I emptied out in McDonough, GA on Sunday and headed North to Atlanta and our terminal to drop the trailer and get to a dealer for repairs. A new starter and fan clutch later [Monday] and I’m on my way again.

I’ve been getting lots of miles. I drove 14,300 since I started with this company, Dec 22. That’s really good. I pray I’ll stay just as busy in the months ahead.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their weather, whatever it is. Just remember it could be a lot worst!

Rock Springs, WY. Lots of oil drilling, very windy but so pretty with the snow hanging on for dear life to the sides of the red rock cliffs.

Not sure why the mountains and side of the highway is purple, but it made for an interesting picture.

Pretty country!

A swift truck is ‘parked’ in the medium. However, this is not a place he’s suppose to be. The two drivers were still in the truck. Probably trying to get their story straight on explaining how they got there!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: